TAIPEI AIR STATION

TAIPEI AIR STATION

Hsinchu 新竹市

 

Home Intro

The Aandahl Family of Hsinchu

Building 64 Kung Yuan Lu

In the summer of 1957, Rev. Elliot and Mrs. Ruth Aandahl began construction of a new misson house in Hsinchu. They purchased a vacant lot at 64 Kung Yuan Lu (Park Road), a stone's throw away from the first house they lived in at 52 Kung Yuan Lu when they arrived in Taiwan in 1954. The house was not technically on Kung Yuan Lu but on
a side lane that ran closely parallel to Kung Yuan Lu for about
mile from the Kwang Fu Lu traffic intersection circle. On the other side of the lane was a sawmill whose output included creosoted railway crossties.

In this first photograph of the construction process, the fence posts have been installed and the foundation of the house is being laid out. The opening in the fence will be the garage door at the back of the yard. In the background across the lane is the sawmill. It worked from early morning until late in the evening six days per week and provided a serenade that we all eventually got used to. The creosote pit was located in the corner of the sawmill compound far to
the right but we were seldom bothered by the smell.


The foundation of the house is being measured and staked. In the background is an ox and cart that has delivered construction materials to the site.

A worker is fitting bamboo poles for the perimeter fence onto the bamboo cross beams which are attached to the concrete fence posts. The wooden shack in the background was used as a temporary storage building during the construction of the house.

The foundation for the house has been dug and the first concrete pillar is having its rebar put in place. In the background are Japanese houses which were typical of the entire neighborhood. For the most part, these houses were built as duplexes with the identical sides of each building separated by a tall wall to ensure privacy. Most of the neighbors were professional people and several spoke Japanese in their homes. Recall Taiwan was a Japanese colony from 1895 to 1945 and Japanese was the official language used in schools and commerce. The local Taiwanese dialect was spoken by most islanders as the second language. When Nationalist China gained control of the island after World War II, Mandarin Chinese was imposed as the primary language sending the island's residents to quickly learn yet another language.

Brickwork for the front wall is rapidly progressing while wooden door frames throughout the floor plan have been installed. Note the woman carrying a load of bricks into the construction site. The round stones in the foreground are used in laying the floor for each room prior to pouring concrete and then terrazzo.